Just as every estate is unique, so is the probate process unique for each estate. Nevertheless, there are some common steps in the probate process, including:
- Identifying, securing, and valuing estate assets
- Opening probate in the county where the decedent was a resident at the time of death.
- Identifying and locating heirs if the decedent died intestate.
- Notifying creditors.
- Reviewing creditor claims and approving or denying claims.
- Litigating any claims against the estate.
- Calculating and paying any state and/or federal tax due.
- Transferring the remaining assets to the intended beneficiaries/heirs of the estate.