The term elder law is very misleading. While elder law does focus on some of the issues seniors are most likely to face, it is also a very broad category of law which can help provide people of all ages with important protections. If you want to make responsible choices about your future to protect yourself and those you love, talking to an elder law attorney is a smart choice.
Nirenstein, Horowitz & Associates P.C. is here to help those who are concerned about retirement, incapacitation, or death. Our Connecticut elder law attorneys have decades of collective experience and have strong reputations in the field. We can provide comprehensive guidance on elder law issues, can help you to make effective use of available legal tools to protect yourself and your family, and can answer questions you may have including:
- What is elder law?
- How do elder law issues affect me?
- How can a Connecticut elder law attorney help?
What is Elder Law?
Elder law is a field focused on helping people to achieve, maintain, and preserve their financial security, autonomy, and dignity. The field of elder law gets its name because it refers to a body of law which is designed to assist people in cases of incapacity, illness, injury, or death. Incapacity and death are much more likely to happen to seniors, but can happen to anyone at any time.
Elder law attorneys need to be compassionate, because they are addressing sensitive issues that involve a client’s most personal and most difficult decisions. Thinking about how your loved ones will cope if you are gone and what should happen if you’re seriously ill is never fun, and your attorney should treat the process with sensitivity. Elder law attorneys also need to be knowledgeable and detail oriented. After you have become incapacitated or have passed away, problems or issues can no longer be corrected – so everything needs to be done right the first time.
Finally, elder law attorneys need to help you understand all of the issues which could arise as you age and need to help you to define and accomplish your goals. Many people aren’t sure where to start when it comes to addressing the medical care they want to receive or the legacy they want to leave for their loved ones. Nirenstein, Horowitz & Associates P.C. works hard to make sure clients know what tools are available to them and make effective use of these legal tools to provide security and stability for themselves and their loved ones.
How Do Elder Law Issues Affect You?
Elder law issues affect you because the field of elder law encompasses many important financial and personal issues that could arise as you age or if you become ill or pass away. Elder law issues can include:
- Planning for incapacity. Who is going to manage your assets if you cannot do so? Creating a power of attorney or a living trust can allow you to ensure your property and money are carefully managed.
- Planning for illness or injury. A living will allows you to dictate what kind of medical care you’ll receive in an emergency. A Do Not Resuscitate order can ensure your life is not prolonged when you’d have no quality of life. A Medicaid plan can ensure nursing home care is paid for in case you cannot live on your own any longer.
- Protecting assets. You can use tools like trusts to make sure that your property is safe for you and your heirs. Asset protection involves structuring ownership in strategic ways so you and/or your heirs don’t lose money to creditors, to divorce, to nursing home bills, or to estate taxes.
- Planning to care for your family. You care for your family by helping them to avoid making difficult medical decisions and to avoid being forced into guardianship proceedings if you become incapacitated. Trusts and a last will can also allow you to give your family gifts and avoid family fighting over your estate when you’re gone.
These are just a few of the different ways elder law issues can impact your future and your family’s future. Your plan needs to be personalized to your specific situation.
How Can a Connecticut Elder Law Attorney Help You?
A Connecticut elder law attorney at Nirenstein, Horowitz & Associates P.C. can provide you with knowledgeable legal representation so you can explore the ways in which the field of elder law can provide you and your family with a secure future. Give us a call at (860) 548-1000 to learn more.